– 1 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 large onion, finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 500g beef mince
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 1-2 tsp chilli powder (depending on your preference)
– 1 red pepper, diced
– 1 green pepper, diced
– 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
– 2 x 400g cans of red kidney beans
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onions and garlic and cook until they have softened and become translucent.
3. Add the beef mince and cook until it has browned.
4. Add the ground cumin, paprika, oregano and chilli powder to the pan and stir until the meat is coated with the spices.
5. Add the diced red and green peppers to the pan and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they have softened.
6. Add the canned chopped tomatoes and kidney beans to the pan. Stir well and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
7. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and leave the chilli to simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes dry, you can add a little water.
8. After 30 minutes, remove the lid from the pan and continue cooking for a further 10-15 minutes. This will help the sauce to reduce and thicken.
9. Season the chilli with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve your chilli con carne with steamed rice, or on top of a jacket potato with a dollop of sour cream and some grated cheese. Enjoy!