– 1 1/2 lb beef fillet
– Salt and pepper
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 large shallot, diced
– 8 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup Madeira wine
– 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
– 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
– 1 lb puff pastry, thawed
– 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Season the beef fillet with salt and pepper, then heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sear the beef for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned all over.
3. Remove the beef from the skillet and let it cool.
4. In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot, mushrooms, and garlic, and cook until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid has evaporated.
5. Add the Madeira wine and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the Dijon mustard and thyme leaves.
7. Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle large enough to wrap around the beef.
8. Place the beef in the centre of the pastry and spread the mushroom mixture over the top of the beef.
9. Fold the pastry around the beef, pressing the edges to seal. Brush the top with a beaten egg.
10. Place the beef wellington on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the beef is cooked to your desired doneness.
11. Let the beef wellington rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!